This post may contain affiliate links which means if you click on a link and choose to make a purchase I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
Beagles were bred to be hunting dogs. They are one of the most skilled scent trackers and have incredible energy to chase down their prey.
Hunting beagles require a nutritionally rich diet to stay healthy and perform better during the game. So let’s look into some of the best dog foods for hunting beagles.
Quick Picks: Top Dog Food for Hunting Beagles
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein [Best Overall]: Real meat as its primary ingredient, this protein-rich dog food helps to provide a healthy diet for your beagle.
- ORIJEN Dog Food [Our Favorite]: Orijen is Beagle Care’s preferred dog food brand for beagles. It is full of nutrients and ensures a healthy lifestyle. It is ideal for active beagles.
- Victor Purpose [Budget-friendly option]: A good quality dog food and a budget-friendly option for your pooch.
Buying Guide of Dog for Hunting Beagles
While selecting food for a hunting beagle, certain things require your optimum attention. You cannot go wrong with the food if you wish for your beagle’s well-being.
Here are some essential factors that you should consider while selecting the dog food for your hunting beagle.
Nutrients to Look For
The ingredients that constitute the food are enormously important. There should be a balance of nutrients in the dog’s diet. Here some ingredients that are imperative for an average hunting beagle.
- Protein: Protein is the ingredient that helps in boosting the muscle metabolism of a beagle dog. This nutrient’s power to augment the energy levels and strengthen the dog’s immunity system makes it vital to consume high quantities.
- Fat: According to research, 25 to 50% of a dog’s energy comes from fat. Fats will ensure that the beagle remains on its feet for long durations.
- Minerals: Minerals can prove beneficial to a beagle’s health, especially when it comes to smooth muscle movements and nerve functioning. Amongst many minerals, calcium-phosphorus, in particular, is of unreal significance.
- Vitamins: Vitamins are responsible for managing the chemical reactions in the body of the dog. It is responsible for digesting the other nutrients and incepting their processes. Thus, your beagle will require its fair share of vitamins amongst other nutrients as well.
Canned Food or Dried Food?
Once you begin to parent a beagle pup, you will face a dilemma regarding the type of food that needs to be given to the canine. Should you go for canned food or dried food?
Well, both kinds have their advantages and disadvantages. But if you ask me, I will vote for dried food. The reason?
Dried food is more cost-effective and healthier. Moreover, it can be stored for long periods, unlike canned food, which once opened has to be consumed within 24 hours.
Meanwhile, canned food is more expensive. Such foods are also not packed with all the essential nutrients that your dog will need to keep up with the daily requirements, while storage also poses a significant problem.
Best Dog Food for Hunting Beagles
Now that we’ve briefed you up on the vital information about dog food let’s dive into some of the ideal food choices for active, hunting beagles.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Dry Dog Food
This food guarantees that your pet gets just the calories it requires to maintain a healthy diet, no more, no less. Moreover, it contains the Vet and animal nutritionist recommended vitamins and minerals that will boost your pet manifold’s immunity!
Plus, you don’t have to worry about the artificial flavors and preservatives as it is made with natural ingredients. It is undoubtedly an excellent choice to feed a beagle who hunts regularly.
- Real Meat
- Healthy fruits and vegetables
- No meals, corn, wheat, or soy
- No artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
Calories: 360+ Per Cup
ORIJEN Dry Dog Food
ORIJEN tends to keep its food products rich in animal meat, furnishing your pet with all the healthy nutrients it requires to have a thriving metabolism and immunity! Using the meat of free-run chicken, turkey, and wild fish, your dog could get all the integral healthy ingredients.
The best part is, this food could be given to beagles of all ages! This means, once your pet grows out of its infancy, you could then maintain a steady diet with ORIJEN. This will eliminate the need to change the diet after each life phase of the beagle.
To know more, you can read out Orijen for Beagles Review.
- Free-run chicken
- Free-run Turkey
- Wild-caught fish
- Cage-free eggs
- Completely grain-free
- Suitable for beagles of all ages
- Made from fresh and raw animal ingredients
Calories: 449 per cup
NUTRO ULTRA Adult Dry Dog Food
Chicken, lamb, and Salmon meat have proteins in abundance. Remember we talked about the significance of proteins? With that in mind, Nutro has processed the ultimate food for hunting beagles. This dry food contains proteins from chicken, lamb, and salmon, making it just the nutrition-packed food that your dog needs!
Nutro Ultra contains various superfoods, including vegetables, fruit, whole grains, seeds, and other similar ingredients that will prove beneficial to your pet. With no added artificial color and preservatives, this dog food has become a top-notch cuisine choice for beagles! Not only is it healthy, but your buddy will enjoy gulping it down as well!
- Made from the blend of 15 superfoods
- No artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives added.
- High-quality protein used
Calories: 346 per cup
Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food
You want to feed your dog, but you certainly don’t want to mess with their weight. Purina Pro Plan ensures that both of these objectives are met with ease. Their digestive health adult dog food furnishes canines with high protein and other nutrients that contribute towards weight control.
The healthy collaboration of lamb and rice makes the food rich in all the nutrients that help boost the dog’s immunity. It has just the perfect proportion of protein and fat so that your dog doesn’t put on weight exponentially. Their digestive system will also function correctly. You cannot get wrong with Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food.
- Real lamb is the first ingredient.
- Live probiotics for optimum digestion and immunity
- Low in calories
Calories: 350 calories per cup
Merrick Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
With the goodness of salmon and sweet potato, Merrick comes with a protein-rich food product for beagles. The healthy blend of protein, fat, fiber, vitamins, minerals, and other nutritious substances makes this food a suitable choice for adult beagle dogs. This product consists of beef meat and sweet potato, which controls the weight of the dog.
Thus, you won’t need to worry about the malnourishment or obesity of the hound. Plus, it also comes with Glucosamine, chondroitin, and omega acids that help maintain the pet’s posture and perfect coat, respectively. Hence, with Merrick, your puppy will get both healthy and delicious chow!
- Texas Beef
- Sweet Potato
- Omega Fatty Acids
- Blueberries and other prominent whole foods
- 60% Protein
- 40% fiber, vitamins, minerals, and other natural ingredients
- High levels of Glucosamine and chondroitin
Calories: 379 per cup
Solid Gold Holistic Dog Food
Solid Gold warrants that your pet remains healthy and does not compromise with good taste either. Hence, their food products are low-calorie and flavor-rich. The best part is that this dog food is composed of 20 holistic superfoods that are more than enough to keep your pet in good shape.
Ingredients like pumpkin, broccoli, and lentil are rich in this food, helping your dog develop holistically! The Omega -6 and Omega -3 ensures that the coat of the pet remains healthy and shiny. Therefore, with this food, you are guaranteed your dog’s health and overall wellness. All the products of Solid Gold are appropriate for each size and age.
- Sweet Potato
- Green Bean recipe
- Low Fat
- A perfect combination of holistic superfoods
- Rich in Omega-6 and -3
Calories: 320 per cup
Victor Purpose Performance Dry Dog Food
If you want to look for a more affordable option, as dog foods can be astronomically expensive, you could consider the dry foods of Victor Purpose. Their product is made from superior-quality meats of beef, chicken, and pig, perfect for hunting dogs that demand increased endurance.
A dog undergoing rigorous training will find solace in the Glucosamine and Chondroitin-rich food, which will ensure that the joints of the dog remain functional and healthy. This food is the best for dogs that generally get allergies from regular meat dog food. Also, Victor Purpose Performance can be fed to beagles of all ages!
- Pork Meals
- Powered by Glucosamine and Chondroitin
- Excellent for immunity and digestion
- Joint Support Ingredients added.
Calories: 399 per cup
Why Does Quality Food Matter For Hunting Beagles?
Beagles are a free-spirited and highly energetic breed. They could spend an entire day sniffing and running around the park.
To ensure that your beagle remains active with its shenanigans, you might want to give your canine good quality food and treats. High-quality food ensures that they continue with their vigorous lifestyle.
As long as the diet includes a high concentration of protein, whole grains, and fibers, they are bound to gleam with energy throughout their lifespan!
As a proud parent of a beagle, wouldn’t you want to feed your pet with the best kind of food out there that is both healthy and delicious? Thought so! Hence, as long as you follow this guide and feed your four-legged pal with a lot of nutritious and high-quality food, it will remain spirited for a long time.
I hope I was able to help you select the best dog food for your hunting beagle. If you have any doubts, feel free to contact me.