Beagles are such fun and loving dogs. But hey, when it comes to treats, it can be a bit tricky to pick the right ones. I mean, with so many options out there, where do you even start?
To help you navigate the virtual aisles of your favorite online pet shop in Dubai, here are some valuable tips to consider:
Understanding Treat Labels
The label on a dog food product can reveal valuable information about its contents. Decoding what these mean is a vital skill you need as a beagle parent to ensure you’re making choices aligned with your furbaby’s health and preferences.
Here are some key insights to help you make sense of the label:
The product name offers valuable information about doggie treats. For instance, if you see ones labeled “beagle biscuits with real chicken,” you can be confident that chicken is the primary ingredient and constitutes a significant portion of the treat.
However, keep an eye out for terms like “chicken dinner,” “chicken entrée,” or “chicken platter.” These suggest that chicken makes up at least 10 percent of the product, but it’s not the main ingredient.
Similarly, terms like “with chicken” indicate that the product only has at least 3 percent chicken, and “chicken flavor” implies only a hint of chicken flavoring, often less than 3 percent.
The same principle applies to other named protein ingredients, like pork, fish, or lamb.
While the ingredient list on a product provides insight into what’s in it, it doesn’t necessarily reveal the quality of these ingredients.
For example, so-called whole meats in dog food may contain a significant proportion of water weight, reducing the overall percentage of meat after processing.
In contrast, meat meal might sound less appealing but often contains more meat since there’s no water weight. The same holds true for dog treats.
2. Go natural
Opting for natural dog treats in Dubai is a wise choice, especially when seeking the best for your beagle.
Natural treats are made with quality ingredients, providing nourishment and taste without unnecessary additives. They’re typically free from excessive sugar and unhealthy fats, promoting a healthier diet for your beagle.
Look for treats made from whole grains like oats and single-source proteins like chicken, lamb, or even fish. These choices are not only nutritious but also lower in fat and calories, helping maintain your beagle’s ideal weight.
3. Beware of harmful ingredients.
Besides the good, it is also essential for pet parents to learn about potentially harmful ingredients that may be added to dog treats. The most common ones you should avoid are:
Dog treats may contain artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives, which do not contribute to your beagle’s health. It could even lead to adverse reactions.
For instance, chemical sweeteners like sorbitol (often added to enhance taste) can cause obesity, tooth decay, nervousness, and dog allergies. It can also lead to issues like arthritis and digestive problems.
Some dog treats may contain fillers like corn, wheat, and soy. These have limited nutritional value and may even lead to allergies or digestive issues.
Be cautious of treats with excessive chemical preservatives, as they can be harmful in the long run.
Chemical humectants like propylene glycol are sometimes used in dog treats to prevent drying out. However, this ingredient can disrupt the digestive system, leading to intestinal lesions and blockage.
4. Count the calories.
Monitoring your beagle’s intake is as important as choosing the right treats to give them.
Ensure you track how much you give your pet to avoid obesity and overindulgence.
Just like with humans, obesity can lead to various health problems in dogs, including arthritis, diabetes, and heart disease.
It’s easy to overlook how many treats you give your furbaby throughout the day. Those tasty dog treats can pack a surprising number of calories. For example, a large biscuit may contain well over 100 calories, which can add up quickly if you’re not careful.
Practice portion control to maintain your beagle’s ideal weight and overall health. Also, consider opting for low-calorie dog treats or breaking larger ones into smaller pieces to offer to your pet throughout the day.
5. Choose fortified treats.
Choosing treats for your beagle can go beyond just satisfying their taste buds. It can also be an opportunity to enhance their health.
Many dog treats are now fortified with beneficial supplements such as glucosamine. These supplements can aid in maintaining joint health and even relieve symptoms of conditions like
The Importance of Careful Treat Selection
- Nutritional Balance: The right treats complement your beagle’s main diet, providing essential nutrients without overloading them with calories or unhealthy ingredients.
- Weight Management: Careful treat selection helps prevent obesity in beagles, a common issue that can lead to serious health problems like diabetes and joint issues.
- Dental Health: Choosing specific types of treats can improve dental health by reducing tartar and plaque buildup.
- Avoiding Allergies and Sensitivities: Selecting the appropriate treats minimizes the risk of allergic reactions and digestive problems, ensuring your beagle’s comfort and well-being.
- Training and Behavior: The right treats can be an effective tool for training and reinforcing positive behavior, enhancing the bond between you and your beagle.
- Overall Health: High-quality treats with beneficial ingredients can contribute to better overall health, supporting everything from coat condition to joint health.
- Enjoyment and Mental Stimulation: Treats that are appealing and challenging (like puzzle treats) provide mental stimulation, keeping your beagle engaged and happy.
- Long-term Health Benefits: Proper treat selection can have long-term health benefits, contributing to a longer, healthier life for your beagle.