This post may contain affiliate links which means if you click on a link and choose to make a purchase I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
Sometimes beagles can be challenging to handle. They are quite famous for putting themselves in trouble by swallowing things that they are not supposed to.
I get so many emails about beagles eating unnecessary things like stones, plants, and roadside poops while on walks. This can lead to severe health problems. In such cases, a muzzle can help to put an end to this habit.
Apart from that, a muzzle can be of real help while grooming.
But it is crucial to select the right type of muzzle that can prevent your dog from eating things but allow your dog to pant comfortably.
Inrush? Here are our top three picks – or continue for more details.
Quick Picks: Best Muzzle for your Beagle
- Mayerzon Dog Muzzle (Best Overall): I particularly like this one because it’s strong yet soft and comfortable. And it’s highly adjustable too.
- Baskerville Ultra Muzzle (Best Quality): It is a high-quality, well-designed muzzle by Baskerville. It is soft and lightweight and made with good quality rubber.
- Ewinever Dog Muzzle (Budget-Friendly): This one is perfect if you do not want to be size-conscious. Every order comes with five pieces of different sized muzzles.
Muzzle Buying Guide
There are various types of dog muzzles. Some that prevent barking, some that prevent dogs from eating things, some can even restrict them to open their mouth.
One thing you need to understand that muzzle is not a permanent solution to beagle problems like barking, aggression, or eating. It can indeed restrict some of their unnecessary activities, but it cannot solve these behaviors.
A safe and humane option for beagles is a muzzle that can restrict them from eating things but allow them to open their mouth a little so that they can pant.
Let’s look into some factors that you should know before you select a muzzle.
Types of Muzzle
There are various types of muzzles available in the market. Let’s have a loot into them
- Basket Muzzle: As the name suggests, these muzzles have a pattern like a basket. They are made of strong materials like hard plastic or even metal. Most of these have enough space for the dog to move his mouth comfortably. They provide proper ventilation and allow beagles to pant.
- Wrap Muzzle: This muzzle is supposed to wrap the dog’s mouth, restricting total mouth movement. It doesn’t even allow the dog to open his mouth. They are made of materials like nylon, leather, or mesh.
Beagles need to pant to cool down their body. So restricting them even to open their mouth is not something you would want to do.
So a basket muzzle is the best and safest type of muzzle for them.
Size of the Muzzle
Size is another crucial factor to consider. It would be best if you had a muzzle that is small long enough to allow comfortable mouth movements and small enough not to hurt the dog’s eyes.
Here’s how to select the correct size of a muzzle for your beagle:
- First, measure the size of your dog’s muzzle from back of the head to the tip of his nose.
- Place the measuring tape about half an inch away from his eyes and measure the circumference of his nose.
Now add half an inch to both the measurements to ensure that it’s comfortable for your dog.
Go to the product page of the muzzle and look for its size. Most companies provide accurate measurements of their muzzle.
5 Best Muzzles for your Beagle
After doing extensive research and testing various muzzles on my beagle, I find these 5 to be safe, secure, and comfortable for beagles.
1. Mayerzon Dog Muzzle
I particularly like this one because it’s strong, soft, and comfortable. And it’s highly adjustable too. I didn’t have any problem putting this on my beagle.
It fits perfectly and has straps that make it impossible for mischievous beagles to snatch it out. Even after being sturdy, the dog has enough space for his mount to open for panting.
The muzzle is spacious enough to allow your pooch to drink water and eat treats.
I even took a test and put a carrot on the floor. My beagle was unable to grab it from the muzzle. So this proves that it’s good enough to restrict your dog from scraping things off the ground.
- Soft and comfortable
- It is made with durable and robust rubber.
- Highly adjustable.
- It allows the dog to drink water, pant comfortably, and eat treats.
- The company provides a warranty of 12 months and a 60 days money-back guarantee.
- Available in 7 sizes.
2. Birdwell Dog Muzzle
If you are looking for a little more fancy option, then try Birdwell’s dog muzzle. It comes in 4 colorful variants.
It is made with good quality, strong plastic that will surely restrict your dog from scraping unnecessary food.
It has enough space to allow the dog to pant, drink, and eat treats.
- Made with heavy-duty but lightweight plastic
- Allows panting, drinking, and eating treats.
- Available in 4 colors and two sizes (Medium one fits best for adult beagles)
- Made in the USA.
3. Baskerville Ultra Muzzle
It is a high-quality, well-designed muzzle by Baskerville. It is soft and lightweight and made with good quality rubber. Your beagle can comfortably pant, drink water, and eat treats from this.
It is available for various breeds; however, it doesn’t have a beagle specific muzzle, but the Border Collie’s one fits perfectly to an adult beagle.
It comes with two attachments. You can either attach it to the dog’s collar or use its strap to wrap around the head.
- Soft, comfortable, and lightweight.
- Made with strong and durable rubber.
- It allows dogs to pant, drink water, and eat treats.
- It has two straps. You can attach it to
4. Ewinever Dog Muzzle
If you have a growing beagle puppy, then go for this one. It comes with five pieces of different sizes, all for the price of one.
The quality may not be the best, but we can’t expect more at this price point. However, it is lightweight and comfortable.
Apart from being different sizes, each one of them is adjustable.
- Each set comes with five pieces of muzzles.
- Comfortable and soft.
- Adjustable straps.
- Works well for puppies as well as adults.
5. Dogs my Love Dog Muzzle
If you are looking for a wrap muzzle that can allow your beagle to pants, then this is perfect. It is highly adjustable from both sides: Head and muzzle.
This muzzle is made of soft material with padding to provide excellent comfort to your dog.
- Strong, lightweight, and comfortable.
- Available in 6 sizes.
Few tips for using a Muzzle safely.
- Do not use a muzzle for punishing your beagle. It can lead to other problems like canine stress, fear, and anxiety.
- Before using the muzzle, teach your pooch to be comfortable wearing it. Start slow. Initially, put the muzzle for a few seconds, remove it, and give him a treat. Gradually increase the time until your beagle is comfortable wearing it.
- Do not use this as a permanent solution for any behavioral problems. The muzzle may help provide a temporary solution, but it won’t solve the problem.
- Use the muzzle only if your dog feels comfortable in it. If in any way, it restricts his panting, then remove it.
- Do not leave a muzzled beagle alone. When you put the muzzle on your pooch, make sure to be around him, accidents can happen.
How to Put a Muzzle on your Dog
You might have heard that dogs love playing in the water and getting wet. But your beagle starts running away from you whenever it's time for his bath. Why is that, do beagles like...
Shock collars can help you train your disobedient beagle and curve bad behaviors like excessive barking, chewing, and biting. While quite a few dog trainers disallow the use of shock collars, some...