Beagles were selectively bred to be hunting dogs. Over time, because of their affectionate and friendly nature, they became a popular choice for house pets. But you may wonder whether beagles are better indoor or outdoor dogs. Can a beagle be an inside dog?
Beagles can be excellent inside dogs. They are social, friendly, and affectionate creatures who bond well with their human companions. Beagles can thrive indoors as long as they get regular outdoor exercise and training.
Of course, there’s more to it. There are few things you will have to do to ensure that your beagle flourishes being an inside dog.
What makes beagle a great inside dog
Their compact size
Many owners who plan to raise a dog inside their house prefer small breeds. That’s why, in this modern age where the majority of people live in houses and apartments, beagles have become so popular.
Beagles are small to medium-sized dogs that can fit perfectly in most indoor lifestyles.
They shed less
Excessive dog shedding is every owner’s nightmare. Some dogs shed during a particular season while other dogs shed all year long.
Beagles shed less when compared to other dogs like Labrador.
They shed lightly all year round, but they shed the most during springtime. They have a coat of short hair, which makes it manageable and easier to clean.
They require love and affection.
Beagles are pack animals, and they need people around them. Keeping them outside alone can make them lonely and depressed.
This breed thrives the most when they get enough attention and affection from humans. Being around us makes them happy.
They are Social
Beagles are social creatures. They can get along well with all the family members. However, they do have their favorite human who they love the most.
Not just humans, but they get along with other animals too. So if you already own a cat, then a beagle can be her new play buddy.
They are comfortable at room temperature.
Some dog breeds like Siberian Husky can not live inside your house because the room temperature is too hot for them.
But that’s not the case with beagles. The temperature that is most comfortable for us is comfortable for them too.
Raising a Beagle Inside the house.
Even though indoor is the best environment to raise a beagle, there are a few things you will have to do to have a happy lifestyle for your beagle as well as you.
Provide regular exercise
Beagles were bred for hunting, which includes a lot of chasing. Belonging to the hound group, beagles are energetic.
They need regular exercise. You will need to take your pooch out for a walk at least once a day. Apart from that, they will need some short but hardcore exercise like running.
An adult beagle needs at least 60 minutes of exercise every day.
An exhausted beagle is a happy beagle. Failing to do so can lead to problematic behaviors like destructive chewing and excessive barking.
Majority of behaviour problems in beagles are caused due to lack of daily execersie.
Exercise is an integral part of a beagle’s life. It keeps them healthy. Beagles are prone to obesity, so daily exercise also helps to keep their weight in check.
Not just beagles, but every dog breed requires proper training for living and adjusting in a house.
You will need to teach them various commands and train them not to do certain things.
Here are a few common trainings that you must teach your beagle:
- Potty training. You don’t want your house to smell like poop, do you? So you will have to train them to poop outside in your backyard. If you live in an apartment, you will need to potty train them to poop while on a walk.
- Train them not to enter your kitchen. Beagles love food, and they are mischievous enough to jump on the kitchen rack and eat your groceries. It’s better to teach them not to enter the kitchen as soon as possible than to regret later.
- To sleep on their bed and not on yours. I allow both of my beagles to sleep next to me on my bed. However, if you are comfortable with that, then you need to teach them to sleep on the floor because they love to snuggle in your blanket. Also, read Should you let your beagle sleep with you.
- The ‘Leave.’ One more important thing to teach them is to leave or drop things on your command. They can get naughty sometimes and put something in their mouth. And once they put something in their mouth, they try to swallow it. The ‘leave’ command will help to prevent such accidents.
- Crate training will help to provide them a safe and secure place to rest. Here’s how to crate train your beagle.
- Here are a few other necessary commands and training you will need to teach them.
Love and Attention
Beagles are hungry for love from their human companions. To keep your dog happy, you need to give them love and attention.
Also Read: Do Beagles need lot of attention.
Exercise keeps them physically healthy; training keeps them mental stimulation, and love makes them happy.
Beagles are ideal inside dogs if they get enough outdoor time daily. They may be a little challenging to handle when they are puppies, but with love, attention, and some training they grow up to be a gentleman, or I should say gentle-dogs.