This post may contain affiliate links which means if you click on a link and choose to make a purchase I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
Every dog parent must be familiar with the term weaning. It is the process of changing your puppy’s diet from its mother’s milk to solid food. So let’s learn how to wean your beagle puppies step by step.
When to wean your beagle puppy?
The process of weaning beagle puppies should begin when they are three to four weeks old. The transition from mother’s milk to solid food should be done over several weeks.
Whenever a newborn beagle puppy reaches the beginning of the four-week mark, their dam starts showing disinterest in feeding them. Milk production slows down, indicating that the pups should become independent of the nutrition from their mother.
During the dog weaning process, it is essential to note that the pups need time to adapt and learn the behaviors. It is not a one-day process, and puppies need time to inhibit their biting habits.
In some situations, you may need to start the weaning process early. For example, in some cases, the dam might refuse to feed their pups from day one. It could be due to several reasons, such as blocked milk ducts.
In such cases:
- One should bring the dam under medical surveillance. If there are no health issues and still the dam is showing disinterest for unknown reasons, it becomes the owner’s responsibility to fill the pup’s belly.
- Try to replace the dam’s milk with high-quality milk and keep the pup on a liquid diet until it reaches the four-week mark.
- Always try to use a dropper to feed milk.
How to Wean beagle puppies?
The weaning process should be slow and gradual. The transition will teach your beagle puppies to eat puppy food.
Step 1: Start feeding puppy food to the Mother Beagle.
It is advised to switch the food of the mother beagle as soon as you find out about her pregnancy. Puppy food is high in calories and other nutrients.
This transition should be done slowly. Start by replacing 1/4th part of the beagle’s dog food with puppy food. Gradually increase the ratio of the puppy food. The transition should be done over 3 to 4 weeks.
You should switch the mother’s food to the same puppy food that you plan to give the puppies. This will make the weaning process easier and decrease the probability of any digestive issues in the puppies.
Step 2: Transition from Mother’s milk to Puppy food
Start the transition when the puppies are three to four weeks old. Begin with replacing 10% of their daily intake with puppy food. Over the next 3 to 4 weeks, keep increasing the ratio of puppy food.
For the feeding bowl, use a very shallow bowl or a plate to make the food more accessible to them. Initially, start with giving them puppy food soaked in some water to make it easy to eat.
Step 3: Encourage your Beagle Puppy to eat the food.
Beagles, even when they are puppies, love to eat. Keep the food in front of them, and they will start eating it. However, if your pup refuses to eat, try to feed them one or two kibbles with your hand to give them a taste.
Step 4: Separate the mother from the pups.
Start taking the mother to a different room or different part of the yard before feeding the puppies. Separate the mother beagle from the pups for 1-hour, multiple times a day.
Puppies may start whining at first, but soon they will learn to eat their puppy food. This brings an excellent opportunity for the beagle pups to become independent. They get a chance to stay away from their mother and socialize with others.
Step 5: Monitor them.
During the weaning process, keep an eye on their health. Make sure that all the puppies are gaining healthy weight. Contact your vet immediately if you notice vomiting or diarrhea.
The weaning process should be done gradually over 4 to 5 weeks. At the age of 7 to 8 weeks, the puppies should off their mother’s milk and eating puppy food.
Also Read: Beagle Puppy Care
Puppy Food Recommendations
Select a puppy food that is rich in proteins, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, and fibers. Never give them something that contains artificial colors or preservatives.
Here are some of the best puppy foods for Weaning beagle puppies:
- ORIJEN PUPPY FOOD is one of our top choices for all the right reasons. It is made with 15 fresh and raw ingredients.
- Blue Buffalo Puppy Food contains essential fatty acids found in mother’s milk, making it an excellent choice for weaning puppies.
- Iams Puppy Food is another excellent option with excellent ingredients.
Tips for a smooth weaning process
Weaning a beagle puppy should be a smooth transition. If the process doesn’t go well, the chances are that your puppy might get allergies. The pup can suffer from dehydration, hypoglycemia, and other health issues. Hence, to avoid such situations, a beagle parent must follow a few tips.
- Never lose your temper: The weaning process needs time, and you need to be patient with it. Try not to get frustrated if the puppies do not respond to the transition immediately. Being patient should be your mantra.
- During the process, your puppies can often cover themselves in food or milk. Wipe off the leftovers and keep them dry and warm.
- Keep an eye on the amount of food you’re feeding. Make sure that you leave a little dry food for the puppy to peck. Over-feeding the puppy with larger chunks of food can lead to bone or joint problems.
- Try to avoid grain-based foods and bad fats. Before feeding anything to your puppy, do not forget to check with your veterinarian.
Parents often rush the weaning process, which ]results in vomiting or diarrhea. Puppies’ digestive system needs time to get used to solid food. Weaning should be done over 3 to 4 weeks.